viernes, febrero 15, 2008

San Valentin

Jose hates Valentines Day. I mean, he really loathes it. And I have to admit that I don't like it either. Living here in Santiago de Compostela there's not much marketing when it comes to holidays. The stores aren't dripping in honey and hearts and I don't think I've ever seen a Valentines day card in the stores. No Valentines candy either. So without all that "stuff" in the stores, the day just kind of slips by as any other day. You forget it exists. The only way you know it's Valentines Day is by the occasional florist shop with roses in the window. And to be honest...I don't like roses either.

Jose's never been to the US in February. I'd love to see his reaction to all the store windows.

It's kind of nice not having all that materialism thrown in your face here. You may think we're some sort of sick Valentines cynics, but we're not. I don't care that everyone else celebrates it...I just don't particularly care for it. For me it's a forced holiday. "Well damn, I guess I've got to say I love you today."

We didn't do anything special except for eat out for lunch...and that was mainly because I didn't have anything in the fridge :)

For all of you Valentine junkies out there...Happy Belated Valetines Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger julie s said...

was that picture taken at O Cebreiro? i spread more valentine cheer this year than usual. maybe because I had free valentine cards from Krispy Kreme.

5:19 p. m.  
Blogger kladinvt said...

My partner and I have been lurking on your site as we are planning to move to Vigo in a few years. Your blog has been very helpful. Thank you.

As for Valentine's Day I couldn't agree more. If one needs a special day one should use one's anniversary. Single people are also made to feel incomplete on 14 February.

4:20 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home

having a baby