jueves, noviembre 25, 2004

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is not a big event over here in Spain. I wonder why?? Hmmm. Normally I buy a big turkey which I have to actually order at the grocery store, because there's not much of a demand for them. I cook my big Thanksgiving dinner and have friends over. I've done this every year since I've been here. Some years have turned out better than others...I have yet to find the right potatoes to make mashed potatoes that don't look and feel like paper paste!

This year I'm not making the bird, though. My parents are coming for Christmas and in order to take off from work, I have to make up all the classes I'll miss before they come. So that means no time to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year. I could do it on Saturday, but then it wouldn't be the same...not like anyone over here would notice, though!

I just talked to my sister, Ashley, on the phone. She's fixing Thanksgiving dinner for my parents this year. The bird is in the oven, she's peeling potatoes, my dad made pumpkin french toast for my neices and nephew and my mom is just relaxing playing with the grandkids...which feels sort of strange for her.

I love Thanksgiving. It's makes my mouth water just thinking aobut it! Mmmm. It's not just the food, though. I have great memories of being with my dad and sister, playing football in the yard...well passing the football..."playing" is a strong word. Watching the Redskins on TV. Having my brother, Brian, practice all his Walker Texas Ranger moves on me. Watching my mom do whatever it is she did with that nasty little bag of giblits. Helping make the relish tray. Pulling the wishbone...which never broke because it was too moist. Taking the picture of what always looked like the Adams Family. The day I got promoted to the big persons table! I always felt like a reject sitting on the little stool at the munchkin table. And sitting by the fire eating leftover turkey sandwiches.

I do have a can of pumpkin left over from last year...maybe I'll make a pie on Saturday and buy some cold cut turkey to make sandwiches. Oh well. Here's a picture of my sister and I many Thanksgivings ago.

Etiquetas: ,

having a baby